Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Monday, April 26, 2010

Praise Jesus for a thoughtful husband!

During many of my runs, I've come across fierce dogs; some chained up, some not.  I have also heard noises in the woods, too.  There have been bear and cougar sightings up here.  I have voiced my concern to my husband a few times.

This past Saturday, my husband attended a Catholic men's conference at the cathedral.  Since he was in a "big" town, he stopped at a outdoor store and purchased some pepper spray for me.


This morning, I went out for my normal four mile run with the pepper spray clipped to my running pants.  At mile two, a giant black dog thought he'd chase me down the street.  I'm not familiar with dog breeds, but he was big enough for my three year old to ride.  I heard the owner yelling, "Heal, Mojo!  Heal, Mojo!  Heal now, Mojo!"  I turned and saw that he was two feet from my ankles.  My pepper spray was in my hand, posed, and ready to fire.  Just as I was about to push down on the trigger, Mojo turned back.  My husband said that I should have sprayed anyway.  "A dog needs to learn not to chase a person when they are not on their property."  I don't know much about dog obedience.  I'm just thankful Mojo didn't take a bite out of me!

For the remainder of my run, I thanked the Lord for keeping me safe and for the thoughtfulness of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment