Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Marquette Half Marathon

We decided to spend the night in Marquette instead of driving up the morning of the race.  The race started at 7:15 EST and we live on CST (the race would start at 6:15 our time; which meant I would have had to leave by 4 am).

Friday night, I picked up my race packet.  The wind was wild.  Hurricane Earl had nothing on the weather here!  I hoped that the wind would calm down before the race the next morning.  After driving the course, we enjoyed swimming at the hotel pool.

Saturday morning, a good friend of mine, S., and her friend, P., agreed to pick me up from the hotel.  I was so thankful of them to do that.  That way, my husband didn't have to rush to get the children up and eat breakfast before the start of the race.  I had marked out on the course map about what time I would be at each mile marker so that he could find me.

At the start of the race, the temperature was 48 degrees with wind and a rain/sleet mix.
The poor volunteers were cold.  They were so cheerful and helpful.  
Aid stations were placed about every 1 - 1.5 miles apart.

Mile 1:  10:13
I started out running with S.'s friend, P.  She said that her goal was 2:20 ... She's a bit faster than that!  By mile 2, I told her not to let me slow her down.
Mile 2:  10:39
It looks like I'm on my own.  I saw a group of three runners wearing Vibram Five Fingers.  So cool!
Mile 3:  10:36
Connected with a wonderful lady named, A.
Mile 4:  11:04
Chatting away with A. and the miles started to fly by.
Mile 5:  11:05
I ate a raspberry gel that was handed out ... really gross!  I should have eaten the Clif Shot Bloks that I brought with me.
Mile 6:  10:55
On the bike path in the downtown area of the city.  We could see the Farmer's market going on.
Mile 7:  10:19
We had a speedy split this mile.  I think it was from the excitement that we were half way done.
Mile 8:  10:57
We walked for a bit after the aid station.  The wind was really cold coming off the water.  We passed one of the big playgrounds and I was surprised that I didn't see my family yet.
Mile 9:  10:41
Still no site of the family.  We passed by Picnic Rocks park.  Two swimmers have drowned here this summer.  Click here to see the local paper's article.
Mile 10:  11:43
Tried to open my Clif Shot Bloks that I brought with me, but my hands were so cold they could not open the package.  A. tried and couldn't get it open either.  She had the exact same kind with her and was able to get hers open.  Thanks for sharing A.!
I heard the honk of a horn and see our family van.  The kids were yelling, "Run, Mommy, run!"


Mile 11:  11:19
Mr. T took this picture of us.  Great job there, son!

Mile 12:  11:33
The only hill on the course was during mile 12!  It was an 80 foot climb for about 3/4 of a mile.  We killed it!  (No walking)
We saw three gentlemen who had just finished surfing in Lake Superior!  They had on full wetsuits with hoods and shoes.  Crazy!
Mile 13:  10:45
We are almost to the end.  We can do it!
The last 0.1 miles:  8:44 pace


The finish:


Official Time:
2:23:34
PR!!!
 Check out those waves and the wind!
Thanks, hubby for taking photos of me at the finish line!

 The Finisher's Medal & the Running T-Shirt

After the race, I refueled with a hamburger, bagel, and a banana.  I met up with the family and we went to the local Catholic bookstore.

We drove the course to see if we could find my friend, S., who was running the full marathon.  I asked the family if they could wait around while I ran with her for a bit.  We met up with her just before mile 21.
 Hubby thought that I was just going to run a mile or two ... since I just ran 13.1 miles.  After he took our picture, he realized that I was going to run with her all the way into the finish.  He was so sweet to let me.
Are you liking my recovery socks that I changed into?  I won them in a blog drawing.  Thanks Marcia!  I would like to try running in compression socks.  My legs felt great.
I think that I could have done the full marathon.  I ran 18.5 miles ... what's another 7.7!

To see what the course looks like on a nice day, click here.

The local paper's take on the event is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment