Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter Running - What to wear?

This morning's long run was a bit slow.  Running through freshly fallen snow of over 1 1/2 inches is a bit of a challenge.  The temperature was 13 deg F with a windchill of 0 deg F.

So, what does a person wear?

Here's my outfit from this morning:

 Head:
     Smartwool Headband
     Smartwool Balaclava

Tops:
     Athleta Sierra Long Sleeve top with thumbholes and fold over ends
     Athleta Cascada Vest
     Ascis Storm Shelter Jacket (to block the wind)

Hands:
     Smartwool glove liners
     Asics running mitts


Bottoms:
     Nike running pants with fleece on the inside (in talls!)
     Asics storm shelter pants (to block the wind)


If my hands start to get too warm, the running mitts can fold over. 

The openings on my jacket are adjustable (see the two zippers in the middle).  When the running against the wind, I keep them closed.  When the wind is at my back, I tend to warm up.

Last winter, I ran with YakTrax Pro on the bottom of my shoes.  They worked well, but only lasted one season.  This year, I opted to try sheet metal screws.  Work just as well and really nice on the budget.  A how-to guide is here.

I also wear a Road ID on every run.  On my early morning runs, I wear a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp.

4 comments:

  1. WOW that is cold!!! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look HOT! Really, I mean hot. How cold is it? Wait, I just looked at your DM. That is COLD! I guess you look just right for those temps. Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look warm! I really need to get some warmer gloves - my hands get so cold!

    Love the idea of the sheet metal screws! I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardcore Chica!! I love the screw idea. Thanks for sharing how you run outside in crazy weather. I really wondered how you did it!

    ReplyDelete