Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cellcom Marathon - May 15th

I am a marathoner!!!  Finishing my first marathon through Lambeau Field was incredible!


On Friday, I drove from Iowa to Green Bay.  We had been house hunting all week.  Saturday, my mom, my sister, a good friend, and I visited the expo and picked up our packets.

We also stopped at a local sporting goods store.
Me, Mom, and Sister with Cheese on our heads.
A free pasta dinner came with our race fee ... inside Lambeau!

The temperature was around 45 deg on the morning of the marathon.  For me, it was nice ... for my mom and sister, it was freezing.  You can tell by how much warmer they are dressed.

We had matching shirts made for our first marathon.

I had name bibs and grace bands made from Races to Remember
The name bibs were sweet.  Spectators were yelling our names and cheering us on.


We also wore a grace band.

Every mile, we prayed for a different intention




I decided to wear my Camelbak Octane XCT with Nuun in the bladder.  I had used it on all my long training runs and didn't want to chance an upset stomach with the Gatorade.

The first half of the marathon went well except for the five minute bathroom break at mile 5.  Our half marathon split was 2:36:48 (11:58)



The second half was very windy ... 30 mph with 40-50 mph gusts and it was coming straight at ya.  Mom started to have a lot of problems with her knees so we walked more.



Running through Lambeau was the best last mile of the race that I have ever experienced.

Running around Lambeau field

Finish time:  5:38:06 - 12:53 pace




Thank you Mom and Little Sister for the memories of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment