Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Yarn Along

Ravelry

With each baby, I've crocheted a baptismal gown.  Since learning how to knit, I decided to go outside my comfort zone and knit a baptismal gown for our newest little one.  To me, each stitch is a little prayer for this little soul.  It comforts me in my anxiety during pregnancy.

This is the beginning of the gown starting from the waist going toward the feet.  The pattern is "Ribbons and Lace Christening Gown".  The author has been so helpful in answering my beginner questions.
 
I've just started working the picket edging.  Learned a few new stitches thanks to my Knitting Help app on my IPod.  On Saturday, I made a trip to the local yarn shop to pick up a few more skeins.  I didn't create a gauge swatch for the baptismal gown and I'm pretty sure I'm off.  Dear husband chuckled and commented that the gown will fit perfectly then.  We tend to have larger babies and the previous baptismal gowns barely fit them when the kids were baptized at just two weeks of age!

While at the yarn shop, I picked up some yarn to knit myself a sweater.  I've given myself permission to detour from the baptismal gown once the picket edging is finished.  My next goal will be to finish my running hat that I started knitting last year and then to make the sweater for myself and my growing belly.

Each Advent, I work through "Advent and Christmas Wisdom from Padre Pio".  It gives me little things to think about each day.

Today's is so fitting for me:

Prayer:
It seems that the moment I began to focus on the spiritual experience of Advent, Bethlehem became like a mirage shimmering across the desert, beckoning elusively, tantalizingly, then vanishing completely.  O God of Soaring Eagles, raise me above this obscurity, that I might once again glimpse my destination, and discern the path that will lead me to you.  Amen.
Advent Action:
I will spend thirty minutes today to "recharge my batteries" through simple prayer, quiet meditation, or a long-awaited nap.

Blessing:
May Jesus continue to totally possess your heart and treat you as a chose one. -Letters

For more Yarn Along's, check out Ginny's Blog.

1 comment: