Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Cor 9:24-27

Friday, January 29, 2010

Rewarding myself with something other than food

At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I needed to come up with little rewards for myself (not food).

This list was difficult to think of.  If you have any suggestions, please comment!
  • Four weeks of consistent exercise  =>  heart rate monitor
  • Be able to advance to level 2 of 30 day Shred  =>  new songs from I-tunes
  • Lose 10 pounds before Christmas  =>  books about running
  • Increase my run/walk intervals  =>  bubble bath
  • Go down a size from my "normal" jeans  =>  learn how to knit
  • Attain my first goal weight of 165 lbs  =>  Runner's World magazine

I now wear a size 12 (compared to a size 18 eleven weeks ago) and I just finished my first knitting project.

Knitting has always left this experienced crocheter frustrated.  I was determined to learn how to knit.  My ultimate knitting goal is to make myself some wool socks.

Where to start?  I usually start in books.  That's how I have learned to wire a garage, build a fence, and sew.  Well, books did not help me learn to knit!  I was able to understand what the pattern symbols meant, but the actual casting on and knitting wasn't turning out.  Where next?  Videos.  Ahh, the beauty of the internet and a Knitting Help website.

After watching a video of how to cast on and knit, I was able to make the dishcloth pictured here.  My first completed knitting project.  Tension needs some work, but I am knitting!  Gauge is not correct, but I am knitting!  I currently can only do two knitting stitches, but I am knitting!  Next knitting goal is to learn the purl stitch on another dish cloth.

1 comment:

  1. Reward suggestions: a pedicure and/or massage, sweet smelling candles or soap/lotion or perfume, new jewelry - maybe something you can add to as you go along. Obviously, not all these things will interest you, but those are some things I thought of. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete